A complete preparation software solution for offline subtitles
– Frame-accurate digital media playback with frame-step audio scrubbing
– Import/export of common file formats including PAC*, STL, 890, SRT, WebVTT and Timed Text XML including EBU-TT also export of image & script asset sets for Adobe Premier and various DVD and Blu-ray authoring systems)
– Advanced timing rules including automatic adjustment for shot changes
– Audio level waveform display and speech presence detection
– Side-by-side dual-file view for creating and comparing translations
– Unicode language support, TrueType fonts and multilingual spell-checking (via MS Office Proofing Tools, not included)
– Vertical timeline display to reduce eye-movement plus clickable (drag-and-drop) subtitle boundary time editing
– Style rule templates and other client specific configurations and programme related information (such as vocabulary) all saved and easily retrieved
– Frame rate conversion and comprehensive range editing functions, including easy re-conformance to new video edits**
– User interface in English, Dutch, French and German
– Easy-to-learn – comprehensive in-product Help and online demo videos
– E-mail support included (UK office hours) plus on-going software updates (Enterprise customers benefit from enhanced 24/7 telephone support also)
For more information please refer to the datasheet.
* PAC File Conformity Checks – For customers who use subtitle creation software exclusively for the QC of PAC files prior to use by Polistream we would recommend our Poliscript software (Poliscript Product Page). Although Poliscript is more limited in its capabilities than Wincaps, PAC is its native file-format, whereas Wincaps has to convert PAC to & from its own internal W32 file format – which can therefore be more time-consuming.
** MediaMate may be used as an automated alternative for some of these workflows (e.g. file format and frame rate conversion, re-conform to EDL, global timecode offset). Click here for more information on MediaMate.
WINCAPS Q4 PRO ONLY
Automatic text-to-speech alignment – speeds up timecoding by assigning timecodes automatically based on phonetic alignment of the (known) subtitle text with the spoken words in the audio track. The alignment process is augmented by the timing rules also used in the standard version (e.g. reading speed, shot-changes, gaps) to ensure well timed subtitles, which can be manually adjusted when required.
Alignment accuracy depends on the audio quality and is less reliable where there are intrusive sound effects, simultaneous speakers or long periods without dialogue for instance – for most programming we therefore recommend timecoding in sections rather than an entire programme and the UI is designed with that in mind.
The aligner can be used with a script or transcript, regular keyboard input or with respeaking (see below). Indeed when used with respeaking a fairly accurate subtitle file can be produced very quickly indeed, with only a minimal amount of subsequent editing needed. This enables offline captioning of fast turnaround material that would otherwise have to be live captioned (avoiding the inevitable latency and occasional inaccuracy associated with that).
This feature currently supports the following languages only: Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Swedish.
Watch our Walk Through video of the Aligner below.
WINCAPS Q4 PRO ONLY
Re-speaking) – an optimised SDK interface allows Dragon NaturallySpeaking® speech recognition software to be used more easily for faster transcription. The Wincaps integration provides a light user interface for the Dragon software – so there’s no need to run the Dragon toolbar separately, which provides a slightly faster response using fewer system resources and ensures that recognised text is always directed into the document space. (Speech recognition systems can still be used with the standard version – as a keyboard alternative, without the above benefits.)
Dragon also allows MP3 & WAV files to be transcribed automatically, with the text then imported into Wincaps, corrected and timecoded using the automatic text-to-speech aligner, which may again be quicker than working from scratch if the text recognition is reasonably good.
Dragon NaturallySpeaking® software (available for English (with various accents), Dutch, French, German, Italian and Spanish) is not supplied with Wincaps and must be purchased separately; the Professional version is recommended for corporate users although the Premium version may be a suitable alternative for individuals.
Dragon NaturallySpeaking® is a registered trademark of Nuance, Inc. and is used here under license.
WINCAPS Q4 PRO ONLY
Script Extractor is a versatile tool to extract the useful dialogue from a wide range of script layouts. This utility, available separately from the Screen Store, is another helpful productivity aid for those working on intralingual (same language) subtitling, using a few operator prompts to analyse a complete script file and generate a dialogue list with speaker cues. The extracted script can then be imported into Wincaps (Standard or Pro version) and easily divided into well-formed subtitles, coloured according to speaker and timed quickly and efficiently using the automatic aligner in the Pro version, or normal in-cue/out-cue techniques. For more information have a look at this demo video, information leaflet or user manual.
Corporate customers should contact us to discuss their requirements and benefit from concurrent user licensing shared over a network (timed or perpetual licences), optional network utilities for easy access to templates and other shared resources and for time-saving pre-processing of video files – plus a premium support service.
Academic institutions – click here to request information on fixed duration licenses with volume discounts for educational use.